- „There was a time, when Ender Knights ruled the land and their Dragons soared the skies. The Nether clashed in battles of unimaginable force. The undead were a menacing threat to be feared and even the Ardoni clans wielded great "Songs" of power. That time is over...”
„I believe that time is coming again.”
- — Sulliman and Thalleous Sendaris.↑
Songs of War is a Discontinued fantasy Minecraft animation series directed by David R.B. of Black Plasma Studios. It is set in the aftermath of an event that occurred in the world of Ardonia, the Great War.
The idea for something like Songs of War began to circulate around Black Plasma Studios in 2011, but they could not decide on a game to utilize until 2015.
David says work began in late 2015, when he first began making Minecraft animations. He streamed the creation of the world in WorldPainter on his personal channel in December of 2015. Building presumably began straight after this, and writing and skin/weapon design possibly also began in 2015.
A lot of the set design on the world was done in 2016 by the SoW build team, and was later showcased in a video on 9th October.
Progress on SoW continued alongside David's other animations.
Production continued as normal and the script and world were mostly completed, so animation began.
David started recruiting other animators to help with some scenes in January, upon realising that animating all of it himself would take too long.
On 4th August, the first reveal trailer was released, showing Tygren Voltaris, a Song, The End, a dragon egg and redesigned undead as cryptic hints for the plot. This trailer was likely only made for the 3 million subscriber special.
On 16th November, the second trailer was released, showing the plot in much more detail and featuring dialogue from several characters.
On 23rd November, Episode 1 was officially released, with the Behind-the-Scenes video following soon after.
A mid-season break took place between Episodes 5 and 6, to transition from releasing episodes every 2 weeks to every week.
The final episode of Season 1 was released on March 28, followed by the full movie on April 11.
It is now officially canceled on June 14.
The unedited S2/S3 Script is still officially available, along with the unedited S1 Script.
Since then, an age dubbed "The Succession" began where many artists from the Songs of War community formed their own teams to animate where Black Plasma Studios left off. From this, 2 teams named Helios Animations and Knights of Ardonia formed, and are trying to produce season 2 in very high quality like the original, Helios also has released theirs as of June 24th, 2021.
Historical Events that occurred in Ardonia
Unnumbered Wall of Time
The Eleventh Wall of Time
The Fourteenth Wall of Time
Other important events
Notable Groups and Communities
Main cast and characters
- Carl G. Brooks as Thalleous Sendaris, an adventurer who has reasons to belive that the Voltaris clan is planning to return. (Main season 1; Special guest seasons 2-3)
- Lucas Webley as Tygren Voltaris, the second-in-command of the Voltaris clan and Thalleous' arch-nemesis. (Main seasons 1-2; Guest season 3)
- Joe Goffeney as Achillean Nestoris/Tidesinger, a member of the Nestoris clan who was long belived to have defeated the Deathsinger during the Great War. (Recurring season 1; Main seasons 2-3)
- Jonathan David Bullock as Ingressus Voltaris/Deathsinger, the leader of the Voltaris clan who was pressumed to be killed by Achillean during the Great War and who returns after a long period of absence in order to bring back the Voltaris clan. (Recurring season 1; Main seasons 2-3)
- David R. B. as Grim, a mute individual belonging to a mysterious species who wields an enchanted scythe and initially worked with Jalkar Bowmani.
- Tom Aglio as Senn, the series' protagonist and a clanless Ardoni (later a member of the Voltaris clan) who leads the operation to stop the Voltaris and the Nether from conquering Ardonia.
- MinaVA as Ria Sendaris, the daughter of Osivian Sendaris and Senn's friends as well as one of the few remaining female Ardoni who leads the Knights of Ardonia. (Recurring season 1; Main seasons 2-3)
- Stephen J. Pena as Lucan, a former criminal who is tasked by the Felden officials to gather information about the Necromancers.
- Elissa Woo as Abbigail, a former farmer and the queen of the new generation of the Ender Knights.
- Allison Seils as Niika, a female Felina who teams up with Lucan to stop the Necromancers.
- N/A as Pythus, the main antagonist of the series and the king of the Nether who seeks to rule all of Ardonia. (Recurring seasons 1-2; Main season 3)
- N/A as Vulcannus, Pythus' older brother who seeks to overthrow him. (Guest seasons 1-2; Main season 3)
- N/A as Necrolord/Xan Voltaris, the leader of the Necromancers who wields the powerful necrostaff with which he controlls the undead. (Recurring season 1; Main season 2)
- Jackson Trent as Igneous, a young bookish Magnorite and a friend of Senn who attempts to stop the Cydonia-K'arthen conflict. (Recurring season 1; Main season 2)
- Garrett as Kiyoshi, the captain of Felden's guards who attempts to stop the Necromancers. (Recurring season 1; Main season 2)
- Lucas Martinez VA as Hubris Nestoris, a member of the Knights of Ardonia who recruits Senn. (Guest season 1; Main seasons 2-3)
- Carl G. Brooks as Galleous Sendaris, a blacksmith and the brother of Thalleous who trains Senn. (Guest season 1; Main seasons 2-3)
- N/A as Val Mendoris, a female Ardoni and Senn's mentor. (Recurring season 2; Main season 3)
- N/A as Denny Pinkolson, a young farmer and a member of the Ender Knights. (Seasons 2-3)
- N/A as Grek, a Jaggathan and a member of the Knights of Ardonia. (Seasons 2-3)
- N/A as Malakai, a Magnorite and the aggresive leader of K'arthen. (Season 2)
- N/A as Saxon, a member of the Ender Knights and an illegal potion brewer. (Seasons 2-3)
- N/A as Trevor, a member of the Ender Knights and an enchanter. (Seasons 2-3)
Songs of War stands at a 8.2/10 on IMDB, praising the animation, storyline and the voice actors who play the characters. On YouTube, the movie has a like-to-dislike ratio of 96.8%.
- Hyperia (capital city)
- Hydraphel Mines
- Diamond Heights
- Solkad North
- Solkad West
- Pinkolson Farm
- Felora (capital city)
- Basalt Coast
- Basalt Mines
- Looma Bald
- Looma Watchtower
- Mahoa Docks
- Kawaiin Islands
- Fort Zuka
- Oakendale (capital city)
- Fort Braymin
- West Port
- Twin Pass
- Conchord Forestry
- Mt. Velgrin
- Mt. Tempus
- Crown Peak
- Heart of Ardonia
- Fort Hacksaw
- Tabora Crags
- Several characters and locations were already used in previous Black Plasma Studios animations as Easter eggs or previews for Songs of War:
- Herobrine (mentioned as "he") appears in multiple animations, either as an antagonist or a supporting character, due to his status as a popular creepypasta acknowledged by Mojang.
- An Ender Knight was featured in Nitrox's The Book of Enchantment animation as the main antagonist, though this is likely unrelated.
- The Necromancers were first featured as the secondary antagonists of Skywars: MEGA.
- The animation Last Gift was made on a section of the Ardonia map. The protagonist from the animation also makes a cameo in Episode 4.
- The leader of the Necromancers, Necrolord, appeared as Dreadlord in Bed Wars and the Animation Life trilogy. The only difference is that Dreadlord's purple cloak was recolored black.
- Grim bears a strong resemblance to Entity303, another popular Minecraft creepypasta figure who served as an antagonist in Mystery Warfare and the Animation Life trilogy. Grim also carries the same scythe; however, Grim's is enchanted.
- Jalkar Bowmani uses the same blade as the Werewolf in Animation Life.
- Derp was briefly transformed into a Song or a Prime Song in Giant Derp.
- The Songs were briefly shown in Animation Life 3, while Derp was scrolling through different Blender assets.
- The Angel of Death first appeared as a member of Herobrine's gang in the Animation Life trilogy.
- Niika's swords first appeared in Animation Life as Alex's swords.
- The Songs of War development map was briefly shown when David was logging onto Hypixel in Animation Life 2.